Sunday, October 26, 2008

Making a Dial Travel Indicator Mount for my 10K South Bend Lathe

I've had a chunk of cast iron put aside for over a year so I can make a DTI mount for my South Bend lathe. I found the magnetic indicator was shifting in use, which negates the utility. So I decided to wing it and just carve one out. I didn't use anything more precise in this job than a Sharpie and my eyeballs for layout, although having a 45 degree angle gage helped when setting the piece for the vee groove.

Milling the saw cuts flat.

Roughing it out.

Milling the 90 degree vee.

Milling the far end for relief from the ways.

Milling out a bit more.

Drilling for the clamping bolt.

Transferring the bolt hole to a clamp plate.

Tapping the plate.

Looking good!

Hole for the indicator laid out.


Reaming to 3/8"

Tapping for the indicator lock screw.

Drilling out the end of a #10 screw.

A small piece of brass was pressed in and faced off.

It works!

I lifted the magnetic base indicator off the lathe and it fell apart...I guess this was the cause of the slop. I can't believe it was just pressed together...

Match drilling the plate and stop.

A dowel pin pressed into the hole to keep the clamp plate aligned. The clamp plate hole was drilled slightly larger.

I sanded and deburred all the surfaces and edges. About an hour and a half of relaxing and imprecise machining. It locks up rock solid. Little accessories like this pay for themselves the first time you use them.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Turret Syndrome

Dennis wanted me to make 3 more sets of bushings for him , 18 bushings in total. I thought I'd try using the turret attachment for my South Bend 10K.

Three drill chucks, with the center drill, a 1/4" and a 7/16" drill. I spot the hole, drill through with the 1/4" and enlarge to 7/16".

If I wasn't using the turret I would have had to tighten a drill chuck 54 times and loosen 54 times. The turret doesn't have as much mechanical pressure as the screw feed tailstock, so it was a tiny bit slower when actually drilling, but overall it was faster and easier.
Why don't I just drill with the 7/16"? I found that it was faster to drill through at a higher speed with the 1/4" bit, then follow with the 7/16" than it would be if I slowed the spindle down and drilled with the 7/16" bit only. And I'd still have to center drill, lathes being what they are.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

A Little Night Smithing

Kent's postman wants him to make a 12" long, 3" wide wedge. Kent has no idea why.

Sawing off a chunk of 3" square stock.


It took a long time to heat up the steel.

Kent starts with the hammering.

More hammering.

The ends were starting to curl over on each other, which is bad. So he started correcting it.

You can't really make out the look of sheer terror I felt with Kent swinging a 20 lb sledge at me.

Kent had welded a pipe on the end of the wedge chunk.

I wouldn't want to do this all day.

Still a long way to go.

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Massive Linkfest

Felice has been stealing all the good pictures of the kids for her blog, so I figured I'd just dump a bunch of links I've saved up for the blog:

Here's what I've been reading:

Finally, I watched Southland Tales, which is a mess of an apocalyptic movie. Yet I enjoyed it. Most reviewers didn't. You probably won't either.