Monday, May 02, 2005

A Busy Day

I woke up at 3:00AM for some reason last night, and lay in bed with my mind grinding over sundry tasks and obligations that lie ahead of me. I was able to go back to sleep sometime around 5:00AM and awoke at 8:00AM.
My first task of the day was to wash the coffee press, as the dishwasher is broken. After breakfast I took the dishwasher apart, looking for the source of the malfunction. The cause was well known, several weeks ago a plastic chopstick had been chewed up into the machine, but after a terrible noise nothing had seemed awry.
I found that the plastic drive coupler that joins the impeller to the motor had been stripped out. I spent an hour on the Taig lathe making a threaded insert out of delrin and modifying the coupler. The part seems to work but the dishwasher does not seem to drain correctly. If I can just get it to work in a "half-assed" fashion for the week I'll call the lonely Maytag man and have a professional repair done.
Felice is completing the 2nd round of adoption paperwork and had me figure out or assets, only to tell me after an hour's work that the information wasn't needed after all. Ahh, marriage.
Well, that was an exciting post.
Here are a few links:
About Tokyo Rose
University of Nebraska Historical Scientific Instrument Gallery

No comments: