Friday, February 24, 2012

Random Pictures Out East

I arrived from South Station by taxi. The driver was a friendly Egyptian Chemistry student who told me all about his plans to return to Egypt and work in the oil industry around the Red sea. Things at home were a bit frantic at points, and obviously sad. But the following pictures will show my home town of Milton, some of Boston and family and the final trip out to Williamstown for the burial.
DSC00253
Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral. My dad converted to the Orthodox Church of America in his 50’s. There were two services there, one Friday night and one Saturday noon. I can’t really do justice describing the “panikhida”, but it was intense and beautiful as well as brutally honest and of a marathon nature.
DSC00256
After the Saturday service most of the extended Carter family met up at my cousin Tamara’s house in Cambridge. She and her husband Philippe were excellent hosts. Above I pose with my cousins Chris and Peter. It’s been a long time since we were together. I’m wearing a St. Mark’s school tie in memory of my dad. The service featured the St. Mark’s hymn in accordance with his will, he worked for many years on the board of the school. Peter, Chris and I all attended, as did Michael below and many other Carters throughout the years. Preppies.
DSC00261
My dad’s brother Michael and his sister Alice.
IMG_0259
Tamara, Liza and Betsy.
IMG_0260
I think I’m trying to scare a small child.
DSC00265
After the gathering Betsy and Ken and I went back to her childhood friend Jackie’s house in Boston. That’s Jackie’s excellent husband Mike looking at their new dog. That’s one sweet dog.
DSC00266
Jackie has mostly forgiven me for shooting her with a pellet gun when we were teenagers.
DSC00267
Betsy’s friend Lyca came down from Canada to support her. Notice the comfortable furniture. I haven’t had such an enjoyable and relaxing evening, in the sense that I had zero responsibility for children, in a long while.
DSC00268
Ken, Betsy and Jackie. Ken is a great brother in law.
2012-02-01_08-24-00_141
Lower Mills, Milton. The Baker chocolate factory has been converted to condominiums.
DSC00252
Hutchinson’s field.
DSC00243
Looking down the Neponset.
DSC00242
Taking a picture of Ken taking a picture of the marshes.
DSC00588
Our old family cat’s gravestone.
DSC00280
On the way to Williamstown for the burial.
DSC00288
Betsy eating an orange in the limo.
DSC00293
Berkshires.
DSC00302
The rectory. Notice the horrible modern addition attached to the back.
DSC00313
It’s owned by Williams College now.
DSC00330
My Great Grandfather John Franklin Carter, 2nd rector of St. John’s church,  brought up his family of seven children in the rectory, later it was divided into apartments and my grandmother lived there until her death. It was always home port for his numerous offspring, my dad grew up for much of of his childhood there, and was able to attend Williams college because of his residency in the town.
For those who have a passing interest in turn of the century Williamstown I heartily recommend my Great Uncle John Franklin Carter, Jr.’s book “The Rectory Family”. I spoke with the current rector, Rev. Peter Elvin and he confirmed that it is still required reading for all rectors of the church!
DSC00331
The rear rose window and panels of are dedicated to my Great Grandmother Alice Carter’s memory.
DSC00337
The front panel is dedicated to my Great Grandfather.
DSC00328
Always nice to see your name in lights.
DSC00355
The rose window.
DSC00358
The church.
DSC00364
This is what passes for a main drag. I started to understand why my dad left for the bright lights of Boston.
DSC00369
Betsy on her phone.
DSC00373
Again, on her phone.
DSC00374
The lobby of the Williams Inn.
2012-01-29_22-10-01_674
Remember this old style of room key?
DSC00378
It really was a confluence of vintage and tacky…
DSC00408
The morning of the burial I had breakfast by myself in the dining room.
DSC00409
Civilized.
DSC00416
Real maple syrup and Cabot butter.
DSC00424
It snowed a couple of inches in the night. So I walked around and took some more pictures.
DSC00427
Everything looks better in the snow.
2012-01-30_09-41-37_321
Except a parking lot butted up against a church.
DSC00439
The burial service was held at the family plot in Westlawn cemetery, just down the block. Afterwards I walked back to the inn with my sister and cousin Deb. It was picturesque.
DSC00445
Ron picked us up in his limo for the ride back to Milton. He drove my dad a lot after he stopped being able to drive himself. A great guy and good driver.
More pictures to come of the next day’s walk around Cambridge and Boston…

No comments: