I found water steadily dripping from the inside of the well pump pressure switch. This isn’t ideal as I’ve been taught that electricity and water do not mix well. I turned off the electricity and removed the switch cover. Yup, water was coming out of the diaphragm area.
A quick trip to the Philomath True Value (The well supply store was closed after noon on Saturdays…) and I was the proud owner of a Square D FSG2J21M4CP 30/50 PSI Standard Pressure Switch with Low Pressure Cutoff. Or as we laymen like to call it, “that switch thingy for my well”. The price was $8 over the cost of one from Amazon but this is a fine example of a time when you’re happy that brick and mortar retail establishments still exist. I should add here that no switch = no water (not strictly true as I could have manually bypassed it, but that would not be optimal.) Replacement was relatively quick and easy although I had to stay home instead of going out to yet another kid’s birthday party with the boys and Felice. Darn. I’ll be checking it every now and then for the rest of the day to make sure nothing leaks.
Found the leak, the diaphragm had ripped at the point of contact with the cover plate. I suppose one could make a diaphragm in an emergency, it looks like either nylon or a high durometer polyurethane. I’ll keep the old parts just in case.
Lucky for me I have a box of random rubber washers, grommets and such. Found a suitable replacement for the washer and the faucet doesn’t leak. I’ll probably replace it or remachine the cup if it leaks again.
Not a bad 3 hours of fun.