Wednesday, April 02, 2014
A New Cord For An Old Saw, Using A New Tool
We bought this Dewalt miter saw back in the mid 90’s and it’s worked quite well all these years. I don’t use it a lot though and when I went to use it I noticed that the cord was a bit decayed. See the green? That’s Oregon for you. Store something in an open carport and nature tries its best to reclaim it. As you can see the cord insulation is decaying. It was relatively simple to open up the handle to access the cord connections. Three different sizes of Torx screws, which irritated me. The new cord, found it in a box of crap I bought at that estate sale… Along with this Ideal cable stripper which I had no idea what it was until I Googled it. Of course I took it apart to see what made it tick. It sort of scribes around the jacket and the vee holds the cord against the blade with spring pressure. This is less finicky than using a knife or shears as it can result in you nicking the wires’ insulation or even cutting all the way through, which is bad. I thought this was all it did, but it will also apparently split the jacket if you pull it axially along the cord. I guess I should have read the instructions. (.pdf)A couple of lugs were crimped and the saw is as good, and safe, as new.