Saturday, July 16, 2011

Disassembly of a Logitech Quick Cam

07121101
I picked up this Logitech Quick Cam Chat for Skype (worst product name contender) at the local Goodwill for $2.00 the other day. This is the third Logitech webcam I’ve bought for $2.00 or less in the past year. This was the first that didn’t work well. The image was incredibly blurry. So I figured I would take it apart and see what the problem was.
07121102
I started with the obvious screw.
07121103
And two not so obvious screws under the rubber pad.
07121104
Unfortunately they only held the stand together.
07121105
So I looked for the next obvious ingress, a notch in the back of the shell.
07121106
A quick pry with a jewelers screwdriver and the blue piece came off.
07121107
There’s a light pipe that transmits the light from the LED that tells you the camera is on.
07121108
The main guts removed.
07121109
The lens focusing adjustment ring slips off.
07121110
I unscrewed the lens and cleaned it with a precision optical tissue (one of those wipes for glasses) and some rubbing alcohol.
07121111
I screwed the lens back on and hooked the camera up to my shop PC. I adjusted the focus and…
07121112
A nice grainy, yet typical for the era, webcam picture (of me taking a picture of the webcam with my camera while it takes a picture of me taking a pic of it…) I think that what had happened is that somehow the lens had been screwed in too much, jamming it somehow. In any case it works.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice "step-by-step" of non-destructive access to the element into this webcam--thanks! These cameras are plug-n-play to the Raspberry Pi. I have been looking for a sensible method to mount a pair of these that does not look like a frog, as I do stereo video streaming experiments using the small computer as a wireless web server.

Nick Carter said...

Good to know as I'll be getting a Pi one of these days...

T0t4r4 said...

Heap thanks man for that post !!!