Sunday, September 20, 2009

Quick Super Soaker Repair

We picked up a Super Soaker D5000 at a yard sale yesterday. Unfortunately it wouldn't pump up.

I removed all of the screws holding the two halves together.

Then I used screwdrivers to pry that orange cap off (to the right). It has a small lip that retains it.

The plunger o-ring was a bit worn/dried out so I replaced it with one from my handy O-Ring Assortment Kit
. It's a pain to press the orange cap back on, pressing it against the edge of my bench worked best.

Now it works.

Saturday, September 05, 2009

Telescoping Magnetic Pickup

I threw an old set of TV rabbit ears in the trash.

Then I took it out of the trash.

I peeled off the felt on the bottom and removed the steel plate.

A screw holds each antenna on.

I drilled out the rivet head.

Then punched out the rivet.

Leaving me with one telescoping antenna.

I counterbored a piece of steel to accept a magnet.

And drilled the other end to be a slip fit over the antenna end.

The parts...

Epoxied together. Now I have a slightly cumbersome telescoping magnetic pickup just like one that you could buy at the dollar store.