Sunday, February 26, 2012

Boston Marathon

Not a real marathon, but a long day. I had promised myself that if I did have some free time I’d meet up with Keith Shaw, one of my oldest (as in long term) Taig lathe customers as well as my boss. In the middle of the last decade he innocently asked me if I was interested in doing some 3D modeling for a Braille Display project he was working on for Tactile Display Corporation. Many years of fun were had working on a variety of designs. So plans were made to meet up for a quick lunch.
DSC00493
I love this sign on the way to the trolley stop in Milton.
DSC00496
Here comes the trolley.
DSC00499
My sister considered the prospect amusing so she chaperoned me. We met Keith outside of Central station. Wandering around the high tech buildings, I was entranced by this display in the Broad Institute..
DSC00500
I decided my that my dislike of Gehry is probably unwarranted.
DSC00502
Worried for an instant that my sister was going to check me in.
DSC00503
This is where they make the Tootsie Rolls.
DSC00504
Not an inspiring place to work, we could make out employees in the break room.
DSC00507
After a bit of hunting we found a $7.95 all you can eat Indian buffet, Shalimar of India. It was head and shoulders above our local Indian restaurant’s buffet, which is pretty sad.
DSC00509
Keith enjoyed the meal.
DSC00512
After lunch Keith decided that it would be fun to trespass visit the Francis Bitter Magnet Lab, where he had worked for many years as a young PhD. He led us through the warrens of graduate students until he finally tracked down someone who both remembered him and would allow us entry to see the NMR Spectroscopes.  Impressively anonymous machinery.
DSC00516
One of the control cabinets was open and they were ventilating it with a large household box fan.
DSC00518
I started to walk towards the machine and was told to stop where the tile changes colour. At the border I was being exposed to 5 Gauss. It felt enervating, although likely that was a psychological effect as it isn’t that large of a force. There were pacemaker warnings all over the building though.
DSC00525
The red nozzle is where the Helium vents when something goes wrong.
DSC00533
Etched plates…
DSC00535
The original plan was to stop at that point but the day was warm and beautifully sunny, so we embarked on a long hike that my sister only ended when the International Red Cross got involved. Something about the Geneva Convention on the Treatment of Brothers or somesuch nonsense.
2012-01-31_14-47-34_240
Crossing the Charles.
2012-01-31_14-47-22_617
That bridge is new to me.
Nick_Betsy_mass ave bridge
Me & my baby sister. She’s smiling because of the pain she’s planning on meting out.
DSC00553
Keith and I. I guess the belly does say that I need to take a long walk.
DSC00556
The Hancock with moon above.
DSC00558
That’s some science fiction scenery.
DSC00560
Boston is charming.
DSC00564
Hey look, Betsy is on the phone…
DSC00566
A crane.
2012-01-31_16-08-43_188
Park Street Church. For those following at home, we’ve already walked from Mass Ave. in Cambridge to Boylston St. and along it to the Boston Common.
DSC00576
The giant kettle.
DSC00577
The Holocaust memorial with the Oyster House in the background. I’m not sure about the symbolism.
DSC00580
Wrong. It’s Boston Garden. You can’t sell my childhood memories that easily.
DSC00581
Betsy in front of the Bobby Orr statue.
DSC00583
My Dad had to miss the game, even though he had tickets, as Betsy was born that day.

We saw Keith off at North Station and got on the T to visit Jackie and Mike again. My feet were tired even though the total distance of the walk was only about 4 miles. Possibly it had to do with the new pair of shoes I had purchased for the trip, the large Indian buffet or my general lack of fitness.
Next post will be the trip back West...

No comments: