Sunday, August 04, 2013

BK Precision Dynascan Corporation 2806 Multimeter Repair.

DSC03745
I picked up this latest addition to my collection yesterday, a BK Precision Dynascan Corporation 2806 multimeter. It did not function. Neither the display nor the continuity beep. There is nothing about this particular model on the internet, I found one picture from Ebay and that was it.

DSC03746
The batteries were good (swapped them out anyway) and the fuse was good.

DSC03747
So I opened it up. At some point it had solvent of some sort spilled on it(?) or it was glued shut so prying took a bit of effort and was slightly destructive.

DSC03750
One side. Notice the input jacks are on their own PCB. Spoiler – you can see the problem in this picture, but it isn’t obvious.

DSC03752
The other side. The big input fuse was ok as well.

DSC03753
The switch solder points were corroded so I cleaned them up. I also doused the all the various switches contacts in contact cleaner.

DSC03754
Success? Sort of but no. It comes on but no matter what setting the large switch is set to, it only functions as a voltmeter. Hmmm…

DSC03758
I spied this little ding on the PCB. The trace is broken.

DSC03761
DSC03762
A quick and dirty repair (scrape the solder mask off and solder on a strand of copper wire)…

DSC03764DSC03766
  
Each setting now works.

1 comment:

Darren Walker said...

Great job ! I love this multimeter.