Thursday, February 18, 2016

Yamaha RY20 Drum Machine

Bought this on Ebay for $20 as it was not functioning.

IMG_2998
And it wasn’t

IMG_2999
But when I turned it on I noticed that the display did change subtly.

IMG_3000IMG_3004IMG_3007IMG_3009IMG_3012
So I took it completely apart and couldn’t find anything wrong. Then I decided to be smart and googled it…turns out in some modes it gets stuck and needs a factory reset (-1 and +1 keys held down when powering up).
It sprang to life but did display a low battery message…

IMG_3022
IMG_3027
So I did the same thing as on the Korg DS8, soldered in a PC battery holder.
IMG_3016IMG_3019IMG_3020
Yay!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Nick
Just wanted to say thanks for posting up the factory reset tip, I bought an RY20 at a local auction (probably paid a bit over the top @ $40!) and found it didn't work. Did as you did and took it apart but found nothing wrong, then I googled and found your post and hey presto it sprang into life!! I've also got a low battery message so if I keep it I'll also solder a battery holder in place.


Many thanks again

Nigel(UK)

Felice Luftschein said...

Cool! Glad I could help.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Thaks for sharing but could you advice me How to take off the jog wheel???

Felice Luftschein said...

I can't rememeber but it wasn't hard, I think if you start taking it apart it will becaome apparent. Just don't force anything. The center dial should just pull off but I'm not sure about the outer ring.
Nick