Saturday, April 14, 2007

Latest in a Theme

I received an email from a professor a few days ago asking if I could do a keychain in the style of our atomic element earrings as a parting gift for a student. I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner, and it's a great idea.

This is a rendered Rhino model of the Ni (Nickel) keychain. The Nickel (and some copper) is on order from McMaster Carr (and hopefully on it's way).

Besides Ni, he wanted one in Cu. This is a test of the toolpaths I did in brass as I await the materials. Too bad brass is a molecule, or alloy, rather than an element. The key ring (fob?) is 1" wide and 1/16" thick. Look for these to become a regular item in our Etsy shop. Spurred by his interest I finally made a pair of Cu element earrings, in the same style as our others, for which I had ordered in some 20 ga. copper weeks ago.
I'm reading "The Secret War, 1939-1945", by Gerald Pawle. Here's a review. It is a fascinating book, especially for fans of Nevil Shute's works, and fills in details that "Slide Rule" did not cover. (I found a cheaper copy on Abebooks than those on Amazon...)
If you are trying to figure out what to get me as a present, here's something cool.
Here's an interesting article about comedian Bobby Lee.

No comments: